Thursday, September 9, 2010

And So It Begins...

You could say I'm relatively new to the world of blogging, but since this is my first post let's start off on a fresh note with no ambiguous thoughts and just come clean and say it, I've never done any blogging before in my life. Now is as good a time as any to get started, right?


My name is Emma Walter and I am a senior at Slippery Rock University. Like any typical college student I have a Facebook page, and like any Communications student I have a Twitter account. I've always wanted to try blogging, but was waiting for an excuse to get started. My excuse came this semester when I began studying New-Media Journalism. New-media is such a fascinating topic to me, because it is constantly evolving and the possibilities are endless. I'm excited to have the opportunity to not only blog, but also get a little work in my major of public relations, by promoting my blog through the use of social media.


One of the most interesting things in studying new media is to see how much media outlets have evolved in just a few years. ABC News is a great traditional media outlet that provides a variety of stories that reach out to a variety of publics, such as myself. It has a traditional style in its daily newscasts that is more appealing to some. It's website is actually starting to lean towards a new-media outlet. However, times are changing and sometimes people want things a little more informal. They are looking for something that tells them exactly what they want, and when they want it. They want to be able to relate to the story and the author on a more personal level. Take the new-media outlet, The Huffington Post, it provides multiple options for the most up to date news. Such as blogs, which are quickly becoming one of the fastest media outlets with the use of backpack journalism and of course social media. If you are interested on any certain topic, there is a blog out there to help you get the most information in the least amount of time.

I'm excited to begin my journey with new-media and look forward to sharing my details with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment